Within the Alliance Sorbonne University, the main components for research and teaching ocean knowledge are :
- The Faculty of Arts of Sorbonne University
- The Faculty of Science at Sorbonne University
- The National Museum of Natural History (MNHN)
- The five marine stations of Dinard and Concarneau (MNHN), Roscoff, Banyuls, Villefranche-sur-mer (Sorbonne University)
- CELSA-Sorbonne University
The French Navy, particularly the Naval Academy and the Center for Strategic Studies are associated with the Institute of the Ocean.